Monday, September 9, 2013

Honda Element Camper/Platform

After sleeping in the back of the Honda Element a few times, I realized that, 1. it's actually comfortable, and 2. it can be even more comfortable with a few modifications. My obsessive little brain got to work, and with the help of the internet, (and the Honda Element user forums), I was able to discover just how easy it would be to add a sleeping platform.

My only requirement was that I could make it without buying any more tools (I own a tool box, a drill and a cheap hand saw). I found a plan that required only drilling, and added only a few modifications of my own.

Logic:

1. I wanted to use PVC pipes as the legs, because then I could make them different heights, if I changed my mind in the process of building. Also, a PVC pipe cutter is only $15, and the end attachment that goes into the PVC pipe was the easiest way to attach the legs to the plywood

2. I wanted to be able to rearrange the platforms to be able to use latitudinally or longitudinally, depending on the adventure. The idea was that if we needed to add another seat, than the platforms should go in longitudinally. Additionally, if they could be stacked in that position, then we could also fit our bikes in while traveling

3. The platforms had to be easy to get in and out

4. With no carpentry skills whatsoever, I had to be able to do this without anyone else's help.

5. I actually wanted the center support to be removable, in case we found we didn't need it (turns out we don't need it right now)

After some careful measuring inside the Element, and consulting the plan linked above, I headed off to Home Depot.

Materials:


(2) 2'x4' 3/4" thick plywood
(10) 2" diameter PVC caps that fit on the end of the 2" pipe- this was the hardest part to find
(1) 10' length of PVC (actually ABS) pipe, 2" in diameter
(26) 1-1/4" bolts, with accompanying nuts and washers. I ended up choosing carriage bolts, after careful consultation with my helper at Home Depot.
(4) turnbuckles (I didn't know what those were until I went to Home Depot)
(4) loops that screw into the board, to attach to the turnbuckles
(1) PVC pipe cutter
(1) piece of 4x8' carpet (with a little room to spare)
(1) tub of carpet glue and spackle

Here are most of my materials:


After measuring the inside of the Element multiple times, I began construction.


The PVC pipe cutting was a lot easier than I thought. The whole process only took about a half a day, and that's from someone who has no carpentry skills and no craft skills.

Before long, I was putting in both platforms to make sure they fit!


From the underside, you can see the legs:

With a little more careful measuring, I probably could've gotten the legs closer to the side panels, but the dimensions were really awkward, and I wanted to make sure they fit. Finally, Cody got in to help demonstrate:

Once that was done, I added the carpet:


I could not believe how well the final product turned out. The turnbuckles secure the platforms in place so they will not move while driving, or stopping short. The platforms also turn the other direction, so that a seat can be placed in while a platform is in next to the seat (no picture yet). Finally, I made an additional support beam that can go under the center section of the two platforms to provide additional support. However, with our camping gear, we've found the support is perfect without the additional platform, so now we leave that piece at home.

And here is the final product, in use!

We can fit almost all of our gear underneath, and the boxes slide out to give us access to our food and supplies. The boxes are 11" in height, and just make it underneath, without the lids. We use a queen size air mattress to sleep on. If we needed more headroom, we could get a foam mattress (the air mattress is nearly 7" high, when filled). We can still sit up on the bed, though, so it's been fine so far.

The platform reaches to the end of where the seats fold down, so the end of the air mattress is supported:
As you can see, we still use the dashboard for storage.
Additionally, when the platforms are in, there is still plenty of room behind the seats so that a cooler can fit.


The Element's back hatch works as a table while camping:

This gives us the perfect car camping set up, without having to unload too much of the car every time we want to sleep. That big gray thing in the picture is my stand up paddle board- even that fits underneath the platforms!

Cody loves it, too!


And here's how much head room we have:

Luckily we aren't too tall!

37 comments:

  1. I was interested in seeing how much money you have invested in the project... I am getting ready to start building a platform/storage solution for my Element and love the set up.. Nice work!

    Thx,

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,
      Thanks! I love this set up- it has worked out so well for us! I spent a total of $140 at Home Depot to build the entire platform- which includes buying the PVC pipe cutter, carpet, and carpet glue. I was hoping to keep it under $100, but the PVC caps that I used to secure the legs to the board were $3 each, and since I bought 10 of them, my costs went up more than I anticipated. However, the caps were the key to keeping this project easy enough for me to do. You can buy cheaper PVC caps at Home Depot, but they are rounded at the end, rather than the ones I used, which were flat.

      Best of luck, and let me know how it turns out! If you need any more details, let me know!

      Delete
    2. That's great news, as I was hoping to keep it around $100! My wife and I love camping but as you know getting to a trail head past 9 o'clock leaves for some troubling set up.. i've researched for a few days online and found your set up to be the best! I probably won't start construction for a few weeks, but will definitely sent a few pics once completed..

      Cheers!

      Tim

      Delete
    3. Where did you purchase the PVC end caps?

      Delete
  2. Love the platform! Just curious where you found the flat 2" PVC caps that fit on the end of the 2" pipe. As you mentioned they seem to be a hard item to find.
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was lucky enough to find them at Home Depot. I didn't know they existed until I was at the store. Here is a link to order online: http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-2-in-ABS-DWV-Cap-C5817HD2/100347638

      Delete
    2. Hi Alaina,
      I have a couple more questions for you regarding the platform. Firstly what do the front turnbuckles attach too, I get where the back ones go but unsure of the others. Secondly I was thinking about making the pipes longer, maybe 15" to 18" so I can fit a cooler underneath, I am just worried about stability at that height and would love to get your input!
      Thanks in advance
      Gerry

      Delete
    3. Hi Gerry!
      In my 2007 Honda Element we have 2 hooks in the side panels towards the front of the car that are exactly the same as the hooks in the back. Maybe other models of the Element are missing these? I would recommend trying to attach it to something though! I also thought about trying to make my legs longer specifically for a cooler, but with the air mattress that would give us almost no head room. I may revisit this though, and get a smaller foam pad instead. As far as stability goes, as long as you have enough stuff underneath touching the platforms, you will most likely be OK. If not, you can make an additional, optional leg attachment that goes in the middle. I made one of these (it's like a 2-legged table) but found I didn't need it. With all of our gear underneath the platforms are extremely stable! Goodluck and have fun!

      Delete
  3. Hi Alaina, can you tell me the dimensions for the wood panels? It looks like you used two of them instead of one big piece, is there a reason for that? I'm trying to figure out how to build the thing...
    Thanks!
    Alexander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexander-
      I have the dimensions listed in the supplies- they're actually just standard 2 foot by 4 foot pieces of plywood (Which requires almost no cutting on my part). The reason I used two instead of just one is also listed- I wanted to be able to arrange them either side by side, or end to end. That way I can put only 1 platform in if I also want to put a seat in, or put a bike in the back. The additional reason for using 2 platforms is that it is much easier to fit them into the back of the Element when putting it in. If you use 1 giant piece of plywood (4x4) you would most likely have to attach the legs after the wood is inside the car, rather than having the legs stay attached (depending on how long the legs are). The two 2x4s make everything more manageable. If I can build these platforms anyone can- I promise! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Alaina. I used a single 4x4 piece (pun intended, lol) with screw in legs made from pipes. To the wilderness and beyond!

      Delete
    3. I hope it isn't too late to ask questions about this project. I just bought an Element a couple days ago with traveling to cycling events/camping in mind. I love the simplicity. Nicely done! My question is what are the turnbuckles for and why? If you already answered this, I apologize!!

      Delete
    4. Congrats on the Element! It is a great cycling vehicle!! The 2 piece construction of this platform will help make room for your bike- just put them in the long way vs. the wide way. The turnbuckles are to prevent the platforms from sliding around while driving. For the most part, everything stays in place, but if I have to slam on my breaks I do NOT want 2 pieces of 2x4 sliding into my back! There is about a 3 foot gap (as you can see in the pictures) between the end of the platforms and the back of the front seats and the turnbuckles make sure that gap stays there.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for getting back to me. That's what I figured the turnbuckles were for. I really like your simple approach to this project. I am likely going to copy your design almost exactly! Nice job!

      Delete
    6. Hi Alaina, I am fairly tall (6'2") and am wondering if this setup would work for me. Does the end of the platfor meet the front seat evenly to where you can set the mattress on top of the front seats? You mention there is a 3 foot gap so I am unsure ?

      Delete
    7. Hi! When you put the seats down the line up perfectly with the wood- the mattress can go over the seats and are supported. The 3 foot gap is when the seats are up so it should be perfect for you (both driving and sleeping)

      Delete
    8. Awesome thanks! It's coming along nicely. Did you put coasters or something at the bottom of your ABS?

      Delete
    9. I think I have little end caps or whatever and they work well. Probably not critical though!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for posting this. This will surely be my next weekend project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alaina, questions!
    why only 2 -2x4 plywood pieces but yet a 4x8 piece of carpet? Did you carpet each piece of plywood separately? Did you wrap the carpet over the edges of the plywood all around?
    Was it 3/4" plywood? how many people 1 or 2? which end is where your head goes? Do the front seat(s) need to be folded down? Are you getting in & out one of the front doors? Why 11" high? Do you Need the tubs just under for support? Will a center leg do the same thing? Thanks! Deborah :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry- missed this post!
      1. I bought the 4x8 Carpet and cut it- each platform is carpeted separately, because they are separated- thats the only way to get them in and out of the Element. And yes, I wrapped the edge of plywood with carpet- if you don't, you risk slivers- ow!
      2. Yes 3/4" plywood, it's very sturdy. 2 people, 1 dog, total weight of around 300 pounds.
      3. head typically goes towards trunk, but it depends on if we're parked on a hill.
      4. Front seats down- you can see that in the pictures. Edge of the mattress goes onto the seats, keeping it propped up
      5. In and out the front doors- kind of a pain in the ass, but we manage
      6. 11" high was so the tubs can fit underneath. Obviously if you have smaller tubs, you can make it lower, but after using this for a year, I would say 11" is a great compromise between maximum storage space, with still enough head room (for 5'6" and 5'10" people). The tubs are for all of our crap- they slide underneath the platforms so we can access our food and supplies when the trunk is open- makes life very easy :) However- they also function as support
      7. I made a center leg, but if you use that, you don't have room for storage. My goal was to have a bed + storage that was convenient- doesn't require setting up and breaking down camp every day/night- everything basically stays in the element. If you don't need storage, i would recommend a center leg.

      Delete
  6. I followed these directions loosely for my 2005 LX. Used a one piece 3/4" thick piece of plywood 5' x 4'. Just fits in with the front seats slightly up. I may trim it back a little but the general plan is nice. My PVC caps are rounded which isn't ideal and required adding washers. Also added caps for the leg bottoms with felt bases. It's pretty sturdy and no concerns about holding weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Glad it worked! So is it still easy enough to get a larger board in and out of the Element? I went with 2 pieces so that I could more easily put it into the car myself- and it also gives me the option of switching directions. I also thought about adding caps to the bottom of the legs, but I decided to save $ instead :) I think the caps were like $5 each? It ended up adding up more than I expected… Glad you liked the design!

      Delete
  7. Here is a link to a video of the Element camper we built. Thanks for being a part of the inspiration for it!!
    https://youtu.be/3rVNvteLmlA

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What brand of mattress do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These types of tents are also meant to last and can stand up to a lot of different weather and multiple uses.  When you have a lot of people using one tent you want to make sure it’s durable. survival shovel

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I needed nice and easy and this is it for me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know this post is almost 5 years old, but I've been looking at easy camper solutions for my own Element, and this is perfect! Thanks for sharing. I actually live up in Winter Park, so I'm sure I've passed you at some point in time whether on the road or on the snow :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you'd like an easy way to earn part-timeincome by doing something FUN, go check this out now:

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    My friend Jim, has successfully run a HIGHLY profitable woodworking business from home and he has just released his step-by-step blueprint.
    Read His Amazing Story:

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    It is a no-fluff step by step guide to create a part-time woodworking business, selling easy-to-build wood crafts, from HOME...with NO capital or experience required.

    ==> http://www.woodprofits.com?fhasdjgaf66r283

    He started out with little carpentry skills and run a business in a 10x20 feet spacewith ZERO capital....But managed to made $9000 per month as a one-person business within the FIRST year!
    The cool thing is, you don't have to be an expert woodworker to start this business as it's packed with solid STEP-BY-STEP instructions and information on what to do to turn your *passion into profit*.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way late on the comments but thank you for posting how you did this. I have been wanting to put a platform in my E for awhile and finally decided to do it. Problem was we leave on a trip tomorrow and I only had about 4 hrs including 90 minutes to head into Lowes for supplies. Found your post and took a screenshot of the supplies then figured it out once I got home. Turnbuckles are a nice touch—gets the whole ensemble nice and secure. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. can you take the platform out of the element

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the detailed instructions of your plan.
    I might try to do this as a holiday project in the Fall.
    Best wishes,
    Chandra GreenComotion.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The folks at Ursa Minor have a mod for the rear window and gate allowing you to open the rear window from the inside... I'm not affiliated, just a fan.
    https://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Alaina,

    This platform looks great and I'd like to try it myself. A couple questions I still have: Did you cut each PVC leg to be exactly 11"? Do you have a picture of the center support that you said you don't really use anymore? And did you cut the wood to the dimensions in the plan from the forum you linked?

    Thanks,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete